Sugar Land police have confirmed that a license plate recognition camera, known as a Flock camera, was instrumental in identifying the suspect in the shooting death of Alief ISD teacher Wendy Duan. The Flock camera was used to confirm the presence of Charvas Thompson, the suspect, at Duan’s home, as identified by witnesses.
The camera system matched the description of the vehicle to Thompson’s license plate, leading to his arrest in Louisiana a few days later. The Sugar Land police department currently has around 100 of these cameras throughout the city and plans to add an additional 100 in the future. The cameras are motion-activated and can be purchased by neighborhoods to share with law enforcement and take themselves out of the process.
Read More: https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/flock-wendy-duan-suspect/285-c8f48dd2-7585-4f0f-a2d7-298b1c2a33a5
What is a Flock Camera?
A Flock camera is a type of license plate recognition camera. It is a device that uses image processing to automatically read and identify vehicle license plate numbers, and can be used to help confirm the identity of individuals who are in or near a vehicle. The camera captures still images of license plates and can collect car descriptions and license plates from the past 30 days. The data collected by these cameras can then be used by law enforcement to help identify suspects in crimes and track the movement of vehicles.
Protecting self from shootings.
There are several steps you can take to protect yourself from a shooting.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to the people and activities around you, and be aware of any potential warning signs of danger, such as suspicious behavior or individuals.
- Have an escape plan: Know the exits and potential hiding places in any building or area you are in, so that you can quickly and safely leave if a shooting occurs.
- Trust your instincts: If something feels off or dangerous, trust your instincts and remove yourself from the situation.
- Learn self-defense: Consider taking a self-defense class to learn how to protect yourself in a physical altercation.
- Consider carrying a personal alarm or pepper spray: Having a personal alarm or pepper spray can be a useful tool to attract attention and deter an attacker.
- Consider active shooter training: Some organizations offer active shooter training for individuals and groups to teach how to respond in case of an active shooting.
It is important to note that it’s best to avoid being in situations where there is a potential for a shooting, and if you find yourself in a situation where a shooting occurs, the most important thing is to get out of the immediate area as quickly and safely as possible.